Position: Project manager
Location: Seattle, wA
BDS Planning & Urban Design is seeking a creative, curious, confident and aggressive self-starter who can both work independently, and as a member of a team, to serve as a Project Manager. BDS is a company that offers dynamic opportunities for personal and company growth in an exciting and fast-paced environment. The firm currently includes its principal and four professional employees.
BDS Planning & Urban Design, Inc. is a firm located in downtown Seattle, established in 2009 and led by Brian D. Scott, President/Principal. BDS offers comprehensive community development services with emphasis on projects that require building consensus and unlikely coalitions, communicating complex information, demonstrating leading ideas, and shaping policy. At any time, we have 10 – 20 projects with public and nonprofit clients, including strategic plans, downtown and neighborhood revitalization, community visions, master plans, public and stakeholder engagement, and public decision-making. BDS excels at synthesizing information about the built environment to help people shape their communities. Examples of past client work can be found at www.bdsplanning.com.
Immediate needs include expertise for projects focused on commercial district revitalization and economic development. There may also be opportunities to be involved with projects related to innovative public housing, evolving emergency response services, workforce development and environmental sustainability. Successful candidates will be interested in helping the company grow by proactively pursuing the type of project work in which they are interested.
Mr. Scott is an experienced manager and supervisor, with a reputation for solid feedback, recognition, and supporting personal and career development. The company has a strong culture of transparency, flexibility, and open communication. Salary offered will be commensurate with experience and competitive. The firm offers health insurance, paid holidays, and paid time off, and hopes to offer retirement benefits in the future.
BDS Planning & Urban Design is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Individuals of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
A BDS Project Manager plays a key role in the firm’s workflow. A Project Manager is the day-to-day contact for client project leaders, and is responsible for managing project timelines, budgets, and work tasks in communication with the Principal-in-Charge of the project. This includes management of tasks by BDS support personnel and any sub-consultants, as well as preparing client progress reports and presenting regular invoices. It also includes a meaningful amount of direct project work. BDS is a small team that requires every team member to be nimble and flexible with their workload and skill sets. This position works closely with the firm’s Associates and Administrators, and reports directly to the company President.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Project Management — Provide day-t0-day client and team interaction on assigned projects, including schedule and budget management, task supervision, reporting, invoicing, and scheduling project team and client interactions.
- Project Tasks — Project tasks are likely to include activities such as research, data analysis, writing, mapping, summarizing, creating and editing visual displays (e.g., slide shows, display boards, etc.), as well as on-site public activities such as interviewing, facilitation, graphic recording, taking notes, producing reports, and other unique project elements.
- Marketing — Assist with marketing efforts and outreach, including project research, proposal management, materials for proposals and conferences.
- Research — Conduct research for various projects and clearly document findings and trade-offs. Examples of research include existing plan review, best practices, and data research.
- Final Product — Produce attractive, concise final products that summarize the findings of the various aspects of the project and recommend future actions.
- Business Development — Actively nurture a network of potential clients and project partners, keeping an eye out for project opportunities, and helping the firm pursue these opportunities.
- Professional Development — Participate in professional development activities, including seminars, conferences, work groups, certifications, and so forth. The firm may support some of these activities with paid time and/or payment of dues or fees.
- Bachelor’s degree required; relevant Master’s Degree highly preferred.
- Three to five years of meaningful experience in related project work required.
- Microsoft Office mastery (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Writing Skills — Strong writing skills are essential. Ability to write professional reports, memoranda, and emails for client products.
- Analytical — Strong analytical and data management skills with a professional focus on urban planning.
- Quality Control — Strong attention to detail, able to review one’s own work, as well as provide review of final products for colleagues.
- Communication — Skilled communicator able to work in a multi-disciplinary setting, maintains strong relationships and possesses strong writing and oral communication skills.
- Computer Graphics — Strong skills in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign; Illustrator; Photoshop), as well as the graphic capabilities of Microsoft Office (Word and PowerPoint).
This position requires a creative, aggressive self-starter who can work independently, and as an active team member, in a high-paced environment. The individual must be solution-driven, self-motivated, and a natural problem solver. Those with a curious and collaborative demeanor are most likely to be successful.
- Position open until filled.
- Cover letter & resume to email@example.com.
- Only most qualified applicants will receive an interview.
- No phone calls or office visits, please.
- BDS is an equal opportunity employer.